[GRASS-PSC] Definition of a Project

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Mar 11 23:04:25 EDT 2007

This could be of potential importance as OSGeo projects gain increasing
recognition and widespread use.

Recently, there was a misunderstanding where a well-intentioned student
wanted to name a new GIS GRASS TNG, even though it was to have no connection
with the 'real' GRASS project. In this particular case, the student was only
exploring the potential of using a new software platform and library
architecture for GIS development. He asked the GRASS developer list and,
after some discussion, agreed to change the name.

Out of curiosity, is there anything beyond open source etiquette to prevent
someone less well-intentioned from creating a new GIS (open source or
commercial) and naming it GRASS II (or something like this) to capitalize on
GRASS's reputation?

Michael

On 3/11/07 5:03 PM, "Arnulf Christl" <arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com> wrote:

> All,
> working on GRASS incubation documents has brought up an interesting
> question. What is the definition of a project or how should it be defined.
> (I guess most projects have never really bothered to do this). The
> following definition of 'The GRASS Project' is being discussed.
>
>>> "The GRASS Project" is defined as the GPL-licenced GIS software known as
>>> the Geographic Resources Analysis Support System, together with the
>>> surrounding development, distribution and promotion infrastructure
>>> currently headquarted at ITC-irst, Trento, Italy.
>
> It has been suggested to not specify the location of the headquarter to
> not necessarily have to revisit the document in case HQ or the
> organisation behind it changes. Otoh the definition should obviously be as
> precise as possible to avoid confusion with other works of the same name.
>
> This might also be of interest with respect to Copyright issues when it
> comes to documentation, tutorials, demo and real data, logo, layout,
> merchandise, etc. How far does the project definition reach. What about
> registered or trademarked names and last and most what about the community
> around it. Is it part of the definition, can it be copyrighted and
> licensed? Obviously not but where is the demarcation line. Any forked
> projects will have first hand experiences and opinions on this.
>
> I definitely don't see this as a blocker to graduation but it is intriguing.
>
> Best regards,
> Arnulf.

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University