[GRASS-PSC] Open issues regarding OSGeo Incubation

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Mon Mar 12 07:47:57 EDT 2007

Hello Massimiliano

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Massimiliano Cannata wrote:

> With reference at the arnulf mail, i was looking for adding the voting
> procedure....

Just now I have added this to CVS...
(sorry for not using the wiki - I find CVS easier and with less scope for
mistakes as I am editing my local copy directly and not copying and
pasting into a web browser. Also think it seems wrong and confusing to
have two copies of everything in Wiki and Doxygen format, especially when
doxygen format can be easily converted to HTML.)

http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/grass6/rfc/RFC1_PSC.dox
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/grass6/rfc/RFC3_PSC.dox

[...]
> Some question arise to me:
> - One major point is the end of a voting session..... when it happens? only
> with consensum? or maximum after 2 week?

In the new version (RFC3) I used the phrase "close the vote" - I assume
the person who calls the vote will close it some time after four days have
passed (I thnk we agreed on the four days period before?) but the chairman
can cut this short if necessary. The procedure for "closing the vote"
should probably be explained though.

> - As Paul asked: Should a single -1 kill a vote (ie. unanimous)?  There are
> ten of us on the PSC.  In theory, a +9/-1 vote will get killed.

Yes I agree with that. We have to trust that if someone votes -1 they are
likely to have a valid objection that others haven't considered yet. I
don't have a problem with the voting process as written in the document.
Just the way we were operating it. E.g. the document says a +1 means the
voter is willing to support the implementation of the proposal. The
implication being, that if you vote +1 you are going to be putting in
an active effort to get whatever you voted on to happen. Maybe that should
be worded even more strongly? I just felt we were getting carried away
with sending out loads of e-mails with +1 in them and no other words and
it looked silly.

Paul