[GRASS-PSC] RFC1 vote reminder

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Thu Mar 29 21:25:17 EDT 2007

On 29 Mar 2007, at 19:25, Michael Barton wrote:

> OK. We were asked to vote by a certain date before. This time I'll
> wait
> until everyone is done with modifying this. Please someone announce
> when it
> REALLY is ready for a vote. I'll look at it again then.

Yes, and I messed up by making changes without noticing that the vote
had specifically been called, but it was also a mix of an edit that
was generally supported with one that missed the intended mark.  And
so changes continued to occur.  Through this time, there were votes
for "the current CVS version", but there were also concurrent calls
for more change.  So... none of that is ideal, but I'm sure we'll get
more practiced at this.

> On 3/29/07 4:16 PM, "Brad Douglas" <rez at touchofmadness.com> wrote:
>
>> I would say yes as it's already been addressed peripherally[1].
>> The old
>> vote is no longer relevant.  Maybe it should go into the RFC?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that, but the discussion is
archived in the mailing list, and the revisions are archived in CVS,
so I think we're covered in terms of being able to reconstruct events
from the archives.

>> I also don't think it's a good idea to vote for an unratified RFC
>> before
>> the changes are committed.  Commit first, then vote to avoid any
>> potential confusion in wording.  Once the it is ratified, then only
>> changes need be voted on (before commit?), not the entire document.
>>
>> [1] http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-psc/2007-March/000232.html
>>
>> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 10:17 -0700, Michael Barton wrote:
>>> Do we need to vote again?
>>>
>>> Michael

So... given all that, I've gone ahead and committed the changes, and
my read of the discussion is that it's ready for vote, but to avoid
repeating mistakes and also to avoid the "double affirmation" that
would be caused by polling to see if everyone thinks it is ready for
a vote (!), I'll ask now for anyone that thinks it is NOT ready to
pipe up.  If nobody does in the next day or so, if I get online late
tomorrow I'll call the vote, but anyone else should also feel free to
do so, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks,
Scott