[GRASS-PSC] Re: [GRASS-dev] GRASS 7 Migration from CVS to SVN

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 16:47:24 EDT 2007

On 10/9/07, Maciej Sieczka <tutey at o2.pl> wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> > Maciej Sieczka wrote:
>
> >> Does anybody know if OSGEO's Trac setup allows for replying
> >> to tracker by email?
> >>
> >> Would that work? :
> >>
> >> 1. a GRASS bug is reported to Trac
> >> 2. notification is forwarded to GRASS dev list
> >> 3. a developer replies via email including Trac's email
> >> address and GRASS dev ML email address
> >> 4. the email is stored in the given Trac ticket
> >>
> >> I'm asking this because the lack of such funtionality seems
> >> the biggest problem with GRASS GForge trackers.
>
> > The OSGeo Trac does not currently support appending to a ticket by
> > replying to Trac emails.  If this is a normal Trac feature (I'm not sure)
> > then I'd be interested in trying to get it working for OSGeo as it is a
> > quite desirable feature.
>
> I have searched around before asking this and haven't found
> any clues that this is possible. Could an experienced Trac
> user please verify?

I guess that a ticket in trac is a DB entry. If so, the trick is essentially
to re-style an incoming email (after some sanity check for content
which could also be done on the GRASS site) into a SQL statement
and add this to the trac DB. Since everything is organized around the
trac ticket ID, it's "just":

- the extraction of the ticket ID from the email subject (throw email
  away if not found)
- the extraction of the mail body as text
- insert into the DB.

It might be sufficient to pick one of the scripts from
  http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracImport
and modify appropriately to accept email instead of, say,
bugzilla input.