[GRASS-PSC] GRASS 7 Migration from CVS to SVN

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sat Sep 15 02:10:34 EDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 05:58:09PM +1200, Hamish wrote:
> I think both hosts would do a fine job, so no strong opinion as to
> where the other end of the wire physically ends up.
>
> Very important to me though is that we get a ViewCVS 0.9.3 interface on
> par with what we have now. There are a number of different flavours of
> SCM-web interfaces around, but I've not met one as nice and usable as our
> ViewCVS yet. (mostly I quite like ours and find all others I've tried to
> be no where close) I depend on it heavily for diffs and exploring the
> source tree + code history.

That's technically possible, see Martin's Test-SVN:
http://josef.fsv.cvut.cz/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/?root=grass7svn

> (with the support of the server admin there is no reason we can't run
> multiple SCM-web interfaces on the same repo if diff't folks have diff't
> preferences as to a particular web interface)
>

> I think it is a very good idea to keep the active web page and source
> code repos in the same place.
>
> How to best archive the "grass" 5 repo without losing the change history?
> If SCM moves away from intevation.de, we must expect that one day they
> will want to turn the historical CVS server off.

Sure - but this can always happen everywhere.
We could focus on GRASS 7 repo now and spend more time later to do
a full conversion of grass/ (GRASS 5) with all branches which is
causing some problems right now.