[GRASS-PSC] Donations for the GRASS project

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Mar 3 09:30:42 EST 2009

PSC,
(cc President of GFOSS.it)

during the last Italian GFOSS/GRASS meeting (last week) we discussed again
to add a "donate to GRASS" button (via Paypal) to
http://www.gfoss.it

(also site of the Italian OSGeo chapter).

Given the fact that OSGeo is not interested in small donations (in my
opinion OSGeo errs here ignoring the potential community donations,
see for an old proposal: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Microdonations
and remember how Wikipedia and OSM get money), I suggest to activate
the button.

The money is obviously hold in trust by GFOSS.it for the GRASS project.
We could, once some money is accumulated, co-finance bug-squashing
meetings, hack-sessings, promotional material or even invent our
own "GRASS winter/spring/... of code" with a competition for the best
proposals.
GFOSS.it already does the same for the QGIS project.

When operative, we can clone the button on the GRASS main
Web site, too.

Any objections to proceed?

Markus