[GRASS-PSC] Donations for the GRASS project

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Sat Mar 7 23:01:48 EST 2009

On Mar 3, 2009, at 9:30 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:

> PSC,
> (cc President of GFOSS.it)
>
> during the last Italian GFOSS/GRASS meeting (last week) we
> discussed again
> to add a "donate to GRASS" button (via Paypal) to
> http://www.gfoss.it
>
> (also site of the Italian OSGeo chapter).
>
> Given the fact that OSGeo is not interested in small donations (in my
> opinion OSGeo errs here ignoring the potential community donations,
> see for an old proposal: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Microdonations
> and remember how Wikipedia and OSM get money),

I think it is a huge mistake too - it is not just Wikipedia but many
other
organizations from moveon.org to Obama, hugely benefited from repeated
small donations.

> I suggest to activate
> the button.
>
> The money is obviously hold in trust by GFOSS.it for the GRASS
> project.
> We could, once some money is accumulated, co-finance bug-squashing
> meetings, hack-sessings, promotional material or even invent our
> own "GRASS winter/spring/... of code" with a competition for the best
> proposals.
> GFOSS.it already does the same for the QGIS project.
>
> When operative, we can clone the button on the GRASS main
> Web site, too.
>
> Any objections to proceed?

I am all for adding the button for small donations.

We just need to make sure that
there is a trusted person designated to manage the money and that the
spending
is completely transparent - best posted on-line. Especially these
days, people want
to know where their money is going, even if it is a small amount,

Helena