[GRASS-PSC] Re: Donations for the GRASS project

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri May 8 15:19:32 EDT 2009

Dear PSC,

back to a long term issue... (with solution):

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> PSC,
> (cc President of GFOSS.it)
>
> during the last Italian GFOSS/GRASS meeting (last week) we discussed again
> to add a "donate to GRASS" button (via Paypal) to
> http://www.gfoss.it
>
> (also site of the Italian OSGeo chapter).
>
> Given the fact that OSGeo is not interested in small donations (in my
> opinion OSGeo errs here ignoring the potential community donations,
> see for an old proposal: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Microdonations
> and remember how Wikipedia and OSM get money), I suggest to activate
> the button.
>
> The money is obviously hold in trust by GFOSS.it for the GRASS project.
> We could, once some money is accumulated, co-finance bug-squashing
> meetings, hack-sessings, promotional material or even invent our
> own "GRASS winter/spring/... of code" with a competition for the best
> proposals.
> GFOSS.it already does the same for the QGIS project.
>
> When operative, we can clone the button on the GRASS main
> Web site, too.
>
> Any objections to proceed?

As we had positive feedback in this list, we have set up
the Paypal button along with the kind help of the GFOSS
association:

 http://grass.osgeo.org/donation.php

The page isn't linked yet on the site, as the wording may need
further fine tuning (please help!). For inspiration, see [1].

Looking forward to many micro-donations,

Markus

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/contributing.html