[GRASS-PSC] removal of RFC documents from SVN [was: releases schedule]

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 27 00:29:51 PDT 2014

Martin wrote:

>>  I agree, if no objection I will remove `rfc` directory from SVN in the
>>  next days. Martin
>
> done in all active branches.

Hi,

Voted-on RFCs are completed published documents and never changed, only
superseded/replaced by a new RFC. Only in-draft RFCs should be held in a
wiki, and even then edits should be restricted to only the core commit
group (which is why we put them in svn). In addition svn has stronger
and more robust changelog history and wider backup-copy dissemination,
which for legal foundation documents ensures the copy you are looking
at is verifiable all over the world as the version that the PSC voted on.
If the only copy is on the wiki server you're at the whim of anyone who
manages to get write access to the backend DB.

Completed RFCs do not belong in a wiki. For bomb-proof full changelog
disclosure, draft revisions probably belong in the main SVN too.

regards,
Hamish