[GRASS-PSC] [GRASS-dev] Comment regarding PSC election

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Jul 26 01:36:24 PDT 2016

On 26/07/16 00:05, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 11:33 PM, Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu> wrote:
>> My perspective is that active contributors to the project should vote. How to define them is a
>> more complicated issue and one of the things that prompted the long email chain in the PCS IIRC.
>
> Indeed....
> Additionally, it is *very* complicated to define who is a community member.
>
> Two options yet to consider:
>
> - the ChangeLog contains some references to code contributors without
> SVN core access, e.g.
>
> # incomplete "grep":
> zgrep -i contributed ChangeLog.gz
>       manual: example update (contributed by Vero Andreo)
>       (contributed by Paul Kelly, trunk r68308)
>       example added (contributed by Vero Andreo) (trunk, r68187)
>       (trunk, r67581; contributed by Vero Andreo)
>       r67571, r67572 (contributed by Vero Andreo)
>       v.krige: updated to rgrass7 - sync to trunk (contributed by
>       manual: more examples (contributed by Veronica Andreo)
>       of NC example added (contributed by Carol X Garzon-Lopez)
>       semi-synthetic NC example added (contributed by Carol X
>       example added (contributed by Vero Andreo); msg enhancement
>       manual: example expanded (contributed by Vero Andreo)
>       (contributed by Aldo Clerici)
>       vector/v.to.3d/trans3.c: fix compiler warnings (contributed by
>     * r.mapcalc/r3.mapcalc: graph2() function added (contributed by
>     * v.split/segment/parallel manuals: improvements (contributed by
>     * v.split manual: new NC examples (contributed by Milena
>     * area_poly1.c function documentation improved (contributed by
>       contributed by Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail com>
>     * help page contributed by Trevor Wiens <twiens interbaun com>
>     * help page contributed by Trevor Wiens <twiens interbaun com>
>     * EPS output added (contributed by Bruno Caprile, ITC-irst)
>
> In fact, all should have been added here:
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/contributors.csv
> but that file didn't get updated lately.
>
> Suggestion: updated this file from the ChangeLog and add to the list
> of eligible voters. The next PSC may improve the process then.

+ for this as an intermediate solution for now (although for some people
on the contributors list, I'm not even sure they have svn access as some
of the names sound like memories from CVS times ;-). I also don't know
how systematic these mentions of contributors are in the svn logs...

I actually don't think that we are in so much danger of a "hostile
takeover", so having everyone subscribed to the mailing lists eligible
to vote does not sound that bad either (possibly with Nikos' suggestion
of an additional step of having to register as a voter).

If we mirror the way it works in OSGeo, then we would have to define a
"charter membership" equivalent for the GRASS community which would
allow to distinguish those that are active in the community, be it as
developers, documenters, translators, or general advocates.

Moritz