[GRASS-PSC] GRASS PSC elections in 2016

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Fri Jun 3 06:11:17 PDT 2016

> On Jun 3, 2016, at 8:02 AM, Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
>
> On 03/06/16 12:36, Markus Neteler wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Moritz Lennert
>> <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I would announce the vote (and the procedure) via the mailing lists. That
>>> way completely inactive contributors might not be informed, but that sounds
>>> fine to me.
>>
>> Yes, makes sense.
>>
>> As time permits I'll draft an announcement and would like to receive
>> some proof reading support to avoid that I overlook something.
>>
>> Still TODO: the number of slots to fill.
>> We have 3 current PSC members not standing for election and apparently
>> 7 remaining/standing for election.
>>
>> Do we want another how many being randomly selected? Or 3 is fine for
>> now and at the next round in 3 years randomly pick 50% or any other
>> mechanism?
>
> Can't we just have a system where every 3 years we reelect the complete PSC, but people can be candidates for their own succession ? I'm not sure that there is such a rush of people for this job, but if there is, great. Then the election will actually be a real election ;-)

that is what I had in mind. OSGeo board elections work that way as well.

> And I think that the risk that the entire PSC will be changed and that we find ourselves with a PSC full of newbies is quite low.
>
> So, to summarize, my proposal would be:
>
> - Election of the entire PSC every three years
> - All people with SVN access have the right to vote
> - Elections are announced on grass-dev and grass-user with a clear definition of procedure:
> 	- Anyone (or anyone with voting right ?) can nominate someone during a period of a few (4?) weeks
> 	- Possibly: those who are already in the PSC and stand for elections again do not need a nomination / can nominate themselves ?
> 	- Voting during 1 week
> 	- The ten candidates with the most votes make up the new PSC

This looks good to me on the first reading - I suggest that we think this through for a day or two (think about what may not work
under this scenario to avoid unexpected consequences) and if it still looks good we should put it on a wiki to keep track
of the process and then it can be announced.
I suggest that anyone regardless of voting right can nominate and the current members can nominate themselves
just by saying that they are standing for re-election.

Helena

> Moritz

Helena Mitasova
Professor at the Department of Marine,