[GRASS-PSC] PSC management

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Nov 17 07:54:30 PST 2016

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Margherita Di Leo <diregola at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC/Roles
>>
>> Now I think that all new and confirmed members may contribute to this
>> question and edit the trac page directly (and report here)
>>  :-)
>

> The first email in this thread dates back to 2014 and no action has been
> taken,

Right. Howver, we have a new PSC in place now.

> from my POV we would need to discuss this thread, as well as other
> threads that were posed by members of the community, in a more interactive
> way, perhaps via IRC.

Sounds good to me.

> Regarding the roles, I am sure other important roles
> can be individuated as well (e.g. GSoC coordinator/mentors).

It is a draft wiki page which could be extended.
Regarding the GSoC mentors, I think that this works ok. If we really
need a designated GRASS GIS GSoC coordinator, I don't know.

> At the same
> time, I'm not sure that these roles must be necessarily found withing the
> PSC.

As I wrote in the trac wiki page

"Note: a PSC member with a certain role can also delegate another
community member to share the workload "

> Besides the activities that clearly fall currently on the shoulders of
> Markus and few others, I don't understand why we need a coordinator at all,
> since some activities seem to flow well without a designated coordinator, as
> Moritz pointed out. But I'm sure that to propose this, Markus, you must have
> your reasons.

Yes: I want a more active PSC. Not sporadically but constantly.

> Could we make a quick check of the situation, individuate the
> current issues and what are we trying to achieve (or which problems are we
> trying to solve) with this proposal? Thanks

Here you go - the current situation (of course my completely biased
private view):

* treasurer: done by Martin Landa and Markus Neteler
* release manager: done by Markus Neteler
* translation manager: done by Markus Neteler
* education manager: vacant
* press and marketing manager: : done by Markus Neteler
* documentation manager: : mainly done by Markus Neteler, with
contributions by Vero, Vaclav and others
* designer: Vincent Bain for flyer, Web site mainly done by Markus
Neteler lacking the migration to a new CMS
* trac bug report manager: mainly done by Markus Neteler with major
support by core developers
* testing manager: vacant? major efforts done by Sören and Vaclav
* GUI design manager: vacant? major efforts done by Anna, Vaclav, Martin

This and that name appears too often :-)

HTH,