[GRASS-PSC] Genova Community Sprint funding

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Mar 29 06:08:14 PDT 2017

On 2017-03-29 4:32 AM, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> On 27/03/17 00:59, Luca Delucchi wrote:
>> Dear PSC,
>>
>> In February there was Genova Community Sprint, I'm sorry the event was
>> not really a success, with this mail I'm going to ask you the funding
>> for food, transport and Martin plane.
>>
>>  Here is our expenses [0]. If you need scanned tickets please let me know
>>
>> Waiting for your feedback.
>
> I understand that with "not really a success" you mean lack of
> developers present, but in terms of work done by those who were there I
> think it was a success :-)
>
> +1 for funding this, if the our finances allow it.
>
> In the future, we might want to think about a procedure where funding is
> approved before the event based on an approximate budget, so as not to
> have people take the risk of financing an event and then see its funding
> refused afterward...

To speak openly here: I've come to realize that smaller is better.  That
you got a few community members together face-to-face, to share ideas
and talk and even create some code, is a wonderful thing in today's
hectic pace.  I feel that the success of FOSS4G has caused us to lose
that focus, on connecting individuals, instead focusing on large
gatherings.  I consistently now get pushed away when I offer help to
small OSGeo events, 'oh you're used to huge FOSS4G events you wouldn't
like this one' etc.  Pardon?  FOSS4G and OSGeo was created by so many
small important gatherings, sharing a beer and coming up with an idea
that would go on to change the whole industry.  So please don't think
any less of a small gathering: you shared a beer and your thoughts with
others face to face, and likely those ideas will go on to shape GRASS
for the upcoming year! :)

Thank you Luca for your passion and caring.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
President Emeritus, OSGeo Foundation