[GRASS-PSC] [GRASS-dev] planning releases - spring 2018

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Feb 27 14:30:57 PST 2018

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 10:14 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> major release 7.4.0 is almost one month old, we should think about
> time schedule for a next releases. Assuming that we are trying to
> release new (point) version every three/four months, 7.4.1 could be
> schedule to May [1].

That's good. Perhaps even earlier? Because I would like to see a new
release with ZSTD compression included since I cannot run trunk in
production and hesitate to heavily patch 7.4. locally. That would be
7.6.0 then.

Yet some backports are open for 7.4.1 [4]

> Meanwhile we could also release 7.2.3 [2] (7.2.2 has been released in
> 16/9/2017). In March or later (see overall of changes [3]), what do
> you think?

Yes, a new 7.2.3 release soon as well. Yesterday I submitted a fix it
since it failed to compile on Fedora 28. Some other distros should be
tested as well before releasing (however, that does not take ages).
Maybe that would become the last 7.2.x then? We'll see.

Also some backports are desired here: [5]

While we are at it, I would also package up without big marketing hype
a new 7.0.6 release [6], just to make it an official tarball. It
contains some updates you don't want to miss if still using 7.0 for
whatever reason.

Markus

[4] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7Planning#a7.4.1tobebackported
[5] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7Planning#a7.2.3tobebackported