[GRASS-PSC] Opportunity: Enabling FAIR Data project commitment statement

"Peter Löwe" peter.loewe at gmx.de
Thu Sep 20 05:39:20 PDT 2018

Hello Stefan, PSC,

sorry for answering so late.

The trend towards Open Science and FAIR ("requires less openness as Open Science, but is much better than closed/inaccessible data") is affecting the fields of science in parallel, but at different velocities. Up to my knowledge there is yet no world standard for FAIR except for the definition of the FAIR principles (https://www.force11.org/group/fairgroup/fairprinciples) by the FORCE11 community.

There are various entities who "approve" and "collect" repositories:

The re3data project/portal (Registry of Research Data Repositories https://www.re3data.org/), which is synced with DataCite (DOI: "weblinks for data-citation which will never expire/outdate") and ORCID ("unique digital IDs for researchers"), currently gives an overview over 2000 different repositories, which meet their minimal requirements (be run by a legal entity, such as a sustainable institution (e.g. library, university) AND clarify access conditions  to the data and repository as well as the terms of use AND have focus on research data).

Another effort on the national level is the german council for social- and economic data, which is a federation of approved repositories in the social sciences (https://www.ratswd.de/en )

The new GO FAIR initiative (currently involved: Netherlands, France, Germany - intends to include as many european nations and neighbouring nations as possible) is just emerging They are also applying the FORCE11/FAIR-principles: https://www.go-fair.org/fair-principles/).

Does this help ?

best,
Peter

<peter.loewe at gmx.de>