[GRASS-PSC] git migration

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Apr 11 13:40:21 PDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 4:58 PM Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 4:02 PM Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>>

>> RFC 6: Migration from SVN to GitHub
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/RFC/6_MigrationGitHub
>
> Looks great. Thanks!
>
> One thing it lacks are best practices for using Git. Git is not Subversion and we just can't use it as Subversion.

Please suggest a text snippet to add there (or add directly).

> Specific difference are the automatic merge commits due to un-synchronous nature of Git. Do we want to avoid those (git pull --rebase)? [Discussion for grass-dev ML]

Yes, let's discuss there.
Even recently gave some insights into a git bot for backports which
sounds very interesting.
But: grass-dev is the place to talk about it.

>> It also proposes an exit strategy incl. to implement a
>> continuous mirror on GitLab.com.
>
> How realistic is the continuous mirror? I know GitLab has migration tools, but does it have sync as well?

https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/workflow/repository_mirroring.html
"
Repository mirroring allows for mirroring of repositories to and from
external sources. It can be used to mirror branches, tags, and commits
between repositories.
A repository mirror at GitLab will be updated automatically. You can
also manually trigger an update at most once every 5 minutes.
"

... looks fine.