[GRASS-PSC] git migration

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Wed Mar 6 02:41:11 PST 2019

Hi,

Two minor non-PSC comment on RFC 6, which generally looks very good to me:

1) One thing I probably would word a bit differently, is the comment on the addon repository, that currently says:
" repository grass-addons
repository for addons (this will become less relevant as people tend to keep their addons in own repositories)"
Here I would say that esp because people are keeping addons in private repositories, it is even more important to simplify contribution to AddOns (and I hope the move to git would help). Because I consider it as highly valuable to have available addons gathered in one place (see amongst others: https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3583).

2) Even being among those who voted for gitlab, I have to admit (as hinted earlier) that I would nevertheless come to the same conclusion that github sould be the destination/target (simply for pragmatical reasons). Also, many participants asked for OSGeo projects sticking together. And most of them are on github.
That said, it would be nice if we could try to avoid making a later move away from github too painful (no lock in). In other words, lets try (as far as possible) to stay away from github-specific features[1] that will be hard to move. Just to acknowledge that,
 a) the decision for github as a target is mainly a pragmatical one (as it is not Free and Open) and following the current majority vote
 b) even OSGeo projects that currently are on GitHub, like QGIS, have an eye on Gitlab [2] based on a feature analysis [see 1]
 c) with 43 participants voting for GitHub, 24 voting for gitlab (pluss 5 voting for gitlab in OSGeo infrastructure) there is still (already?) a significant number of people with different preferences
But again, lets move to git(hub) and try to stay as flexible as possible...

Cheers
Stefan

1: https://about.gitlab.com/devops-tools/github-vs-gitlab.html
2: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/wiki/QGIS-Platform-migration-plan