[GRASS-PSC] PSC elections in 2020

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Dec 8 06:03:57 PST 2020

On 7/12/20 21:28, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Dear PSC,
>
> Almost a year has passed...
>
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 12:08 AM Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>> Hi PSC,
>>
>> I have drafted a page for the needed PSC elections:
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC/Election2020
>>
>> All details yet to be defined.
> I would like to re-suggest discussing the next PSC election.

+1

First step would probably be to find a CRO. Doesn't have to part of the
current PSC, or ? So we should ask on the -dev and probably also the
-user list for candidates. Any objections to me sending the following
mail to both lists ?

Moritz

issues, some decisions go through this committee: annual budget,
admission of new developers into the core development team, and some
fundamental decisions (recent example: phasing out of a 32-bit version
for MS Windows). For an overview of the (fairly low-noise) activity of
the PSC, you can browse through the archives of its public mailing list
[2]. You will see that it is not a job that requires a lot of work, but
it is an essential job nevertheless. Also: no need to be a developer to
be part of the PSC, users should also be represented.

The last election for this committee was in 2016 and at the time we
decided that the PSC should be renewed approximately every 3 years. We
are already beyond this time frame and so a new election should happen,
soon. The general outline of the procedure has been drafted [3]. The
first step in that procedure is the nomination of one (or several) Chief
Return Officers who will oversee the election process.

Is anyone willing to play this role ? You can just respond directly here
on the list to display your interest.

The current PSC

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC
<https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC>