[GRASS-PSC] 2020 Election wiki - request for comments on details

Chief Return Officer (CRO) - GRASS GIS election 2020 variablestarlight at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 05:18:09 PST 2020

On 2020-12-17 13:04, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> On 17/12/20 10:43, Chief Return Officer (CRO) - GRASS GIS election
> 2020 wrote:
>>> To avoid confusion with ASCII emails, here the clean version:
>>>
>>> - Number of PSC members to be elected: 9
>>> - Election duration: 2020-12-21 - 2021-01-28
>>>     - Nomination period: 2020-12-21 - 2021-01-11
>>>     - Reflection week: 2021-01-11 - 2021-01-18
>>>     - Voting period: 2021-01-18 - 2021-01-25
>>>     - Latest possible announcement of new PSC: 2021-02-01

>>> To me it sounds reasonable.
>>
>> Fine! Then I write them in the wiki and we aim to launch on monday
>> 21/12.

>>> I understood that in addition we want the translators.
>>> - have contributed to Transifex
>> Yes, my question was about the part within parentheses

>>> "PR still open" would be fine for me because it shows interest, an
>>> active contribution and maybe tackles complicated stuff which cannot
>>> be merged quickly.
>>>
>> Then, we can say that submitting a PR gives a person the right to
>> vote, independently of the PR having been accepted or not.
>>

>>>  From the current wiki drat: Election tool?
>>>
>>>       During the Voting period, eligible voters, can vote their
>>> preferred
>>>       candidate(s) via an on-line tool which will protect privacy.
>>>
>>> Which tool? How does this work?
>>>
>>> O see that https://vote.heliosvoting.org/ was used in 2016. Is this
>>> being used in 2020 too? How?
>>> Nikos knows about heliosvoting.
>>> But as Moritz suggests, perhaps we may use
>>> https://limesurvey.osgeo.org - I can try to find out.
>>
>> We will wait for the answer on this then. In a sense, we could just
>> start on monday 21/12 and hope for a clear solution regarding the
>> voting system later during the process. But perhaps this is too
>> risky. I would prefer to have a definition on which system is to be
>> used and how to use it before launching the election.
>
> I think you can launch the nomination period on the 21. Heliosvoting
> should work. Just log in with your Google account and click "create an
> election".
>
> For the OSGeo Limesurvey, on https://limesurvey.osgeo.org/ it says
> "Please contact OSGeo CRO ( cro at osgeo.org ) for further assistance.",
> so you could probably just do that.
>
> Personally I like the idea of keeping things within the OSGeo
> ecosystem, and so would privilege that solution, but we shouldn't make
> this too much of an issue.

I tested logging in Heliosvoting and it seemed to work well. If the
possibility of using the OSGEO voting system arises we can use it,
otherwise we just use Helios. I think we can proceed then.

I will finish work with the wiki, check back to you for feedback, and
after that we will be ready to go.

/H.