[GRASS-PSC] Fwd: [GSoC 2021 - Urgent] Feedback Required Regarding Disbursal of GSoC Org Payments/Mentor Stipend to the Mentors

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Thu Apr 29 18:00:08 PDT 2021

I am not sure whether other members of PSC or other GSoC mentors received this but here is a message from Rajat regarding the potential GSoC mentor
compensation. Feel free to read the entire message below but here is the important part (note that I was at the board meeting
where this was discussed and the feedback from the board was that osgeo will give the funds to the participating projects to use as they see fit.)
So if you have ideas about what is the best procedure to receive and distribute the funds for the GRASS project
please share them here on the PSC list and I will compile them and provide to Rajat (note that this would be $1200 if we get 3 slots)

As a backup mentor I would vote for all funds going to the main mentor or to cover some collaborative development activity (in the past
it would have been e.g. travel to code sprint).

Helena

> Our decision as administrators is to reach out to the projects’ PSC for your comments about the following idea.
> GSoC team will deposit $400 per accepted proposal
> The project can claim the money and distribute it to the “main” mentors and “backup” mentors as they see fit.
> The claim can be done after the GSoC team deposits the stipend to the OSGeo organization.
>
> This idea has not yet been approved by the board, we need your input to refine the idea and procedure. Based on your inputs, we will list the possible options and forward them to the OSGeo board for their comments.

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Rajat Shinde <rajatshinde2303 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [GSoC 2021 - Urgent] Feedback Required Regarding Disbursal of GSoC Org Payments/Mentor Stipend to the Mentors
> Date: April 29, 2021 at 3:11:29 PM EDT
> To: Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at ncsu.edu>
> Cc: "gsoc-adminosgeo.org" <gsoc-admin at osgeo.org>, Rahul Chauhan <rahulnitsxr at gmail.com>
>
> Dear Prof. Mitasova,
>
> Greetings!
> I am sending this email with regards to the Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2021 stipend for mentors. This is OSGeo’s 15th year participating in the GSoC 2021 and GRASS GIS is one of the participating projects under the OSGeo umbrella organization. Also, this is our second year working as OSGeo-GSoC administrators team, and since last year it came to our attention that mentors were not getting remuneration for their work. We feel that this is very unfortunate and lacks incentive for the mentors to continue mentoring. Moreover, mentoring for GSoC is a full-time commitment and requires a lot of effort (which might vary depending on the coding and administration mentoring).
>
> In this regard, I had a meeting with the board on April 26 [1] and it was clear to me that the GSoC program does make a deposit to OSGeo. Citing below from the website for reference:
>
> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2021-04-26#Google_Summer_of_Code_organization_payment_discussion <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2021-04-26#Google_Summer_of_Code_organization_payment_discussion>
>
> “$400 per student developer for your organization (often called the mentor stipend) though the money does not generally go to the actual mentor. One payment is sent to the org, and if the org wishes to disburse the funds to their mentors they are welcome to do that on their own.” [2]
>
> [2] https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/help/org-payments#i_included_in_your_payment <https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/help/org-payments#i_included_in_your_payment>
> During the meeting I mentioned the following facts:
> Accepted proposals are required to have at least 2 mentors and one of them is the “main” mentor
> It is strongly recommended to have 3 mentors
> The additional mentors are “backup” mentors
> A mentor can not mentor more than 2 proposals
> [...]
Helena Mitasova
Professor at the Department of Marine,
Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
Associate director and faculty fellow at the Center for Geospatial Analytics
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
hmitaso at ncsu.edu