[GRASS-PSC] Statement Veronica Andreo

Veronica Andreo veroandreo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 17:24:41 PST 2021

Dear all,

First of all, thanks for the nomination; I feel honored :)
Here's my statement for the GRASS GIS 2020 elections for a new Project
Steering Committee (PSC)

For those of you that have not heard of me, I have been a member of the
GRASS GIS Development team since 2017. I am an OSGeo Charter member and a
strong FOSS4G enthusiast and advocate. You might have seen my name in the
mailing list, either asking or answering questions :) My first
contributions were mostly translations, online tutorials and documentation
(See eg [0]). Then, I started teaching GRASS GIS introductory and advanced
courses and workshops, especially on time series modules and their
applications (See eg [1]). I have also volunteered as a mentor for GRASS
GIS in a couple of Google Code-In editions introducing high school students
into the Open Source world. The past year, I've been very much involved in
adding content to the new website and managing GRASS GIS social media
(Twitter and Facebook) with the goal of making GRASS GIS more discoverable.
Last but not least, I've contributed a toolset to download and import
landsat data [2]. Further details can be found in my website:
https://veroandreo.gitlab.io

If I'm elected for PSC I will keep working hard and actively on these
different fronts, with especial focus in outreach and being a link between
(new) users and devs. My goal is that more and more people know grass
capabilities and potential and use it for their work. Furthermore, I will
push for the discussion and definition of a clear sponsorship and
fundraising policy that enable us to get funding for bug fixing and
development of new features that are of interest for the community.

Cheers,
Vero

[0] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Temporal_data_processing/
[1] https://github.com/veroandreo/grass_opengeohub2019