[GRASS-PSC] Accounting and organization of sponsorship

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Mar 17 00:32:21 PDT 2021

Most foss4g projects are not legal entities, just a bunch of nice people
organizing to create beautiful software. As they are not legal entities
they cannot open a bank account, provide invoices, etc. This is what
fiscal
hosts are for. They are legal entities that allow groups to act like a
legal entity by allowing them to open accounts, etc. For more info:
https://opencollective.com/become-a-host.
<https://opencollective.com/become-a-host.>

OSGeo is already playing the role of fiscal host for GitHub sponsoring:
https://github.com/sponsors/OSGeo. <https://github.com/sponsors/OSGeo.>

For our current banking account our fiscal host is OSGeo.eu.

OSGeo could become a fiscal host at opencollective and so allow all OSGeo
projects to organize sponsoring through there. I'll ask the board.

Otherwise we could use another fiscal host. Fiscal hosts can ask for a fee for their services, usually around 5%, but they don't have to.

Opencollective uses stripe for credit card payments and also allows payment via PayPal. Those payments generally also come with a small fee, so a few percent of the money people give is lost on the way.

Moritz