[GRASS-PSC] Accounting and organization of sponsorship

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Mar 29 00:25:04 PDT 2021

Hi Helena,

Sorry, but I somehow missed this mail.

Here's a very brief explanation, based on what I wrote earlier:

Most foss4g projects are not legal entities, just a bunch of nice people
organizing to create beautiful software. As they are not legal entities
they cannot open a bank account, provide invoices, etc. This is what
fiscal hosts are for. They are legal entities that allow groups to act
like a legal entity by allowing them to open accounts, etc. OSGeo is
already playing the role of fiscal host for GitHub sponsoring:
https://github.com/sponsors/OSGeo. <https://github.com/sponsors/OSGeo.>

In the GRASS GIS case, for our current banking account our fiscal host
is OSGeo.eu. But not for our collection of donations which goes through
a money pool that is linked to my personal PayPal account.

It would thus be nice to have one fiscal host that could cover all
aspects: collection of donation, bank accounts, invoices, etc.

OpenCollective offers the possibility for organizations to register as
fiscal hosts: https://opencollective.com/become-a-host. If the fiscal
host requests payments from its hostees than the fiscal host has to also
pay something to OpenCollectives, otherwise it is free, AFAICT.
OpenCollectives then offers a wide array of ways to collect donations.

There are existing fiscal hosts that the GRASS GIS project could use,
notably the Open Source Collective
(https://opencollective.co/opensource), but in my eyes it would make
sens if OSGeo would widen its role of fiscal host from the very specific
Github sponsoring case to such a larger offering. This would allow all
OSGeo projects to organize sponsoring through there. It would then be
discussed if OSGeo takes a percentage of all donations to projects in
order to help finance the common infrastructure and other costs.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Moritz