[GRASS-PSC] Budget 2022

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Sat Jan 8 07:42:14 PST 2022

Hi Vero, Hi all,

Am 07.01.2022 02:02 schrieb Veronica Andreo:
> Dear all,
>
> It is that time of the year :) We need to submit our budget by Jan 20,
> 2022.
>
> I have already created the relevant page (1)

Please note that we decided to work on the budget in a spreadsheet in
the OSGeo Nextcloud (file grass_project_budgets.ods, with a tab for each
year, mentioned in the wiki as the download link 'Master file':
https://nextcloud.osgeo.org/s/dKXfqq4QkMmSkB5) in order to make
modifications easier while elaborating it. At the end it can be easily
copied over to the wiki. I created the 2022 tab and synchronized between
the wiki and the spreadsheet.

> and put in some suggested
> values thinking of in-person events for this year and offering 3x1000
> euro mini grants. What do you think? Do we consider travel grants as
> well? How many? Please, go ahead and edit directly.
>
> @Moritz Lennert Would you please help out there with bank fees,
> surplus from 2021

I've updated the ledger in Nextcloud which represents our detailed
accounts transaction by transaction. As a summary, here is our current
financial situation as of Dec. 31, 2021:

- PayPal Money Pool: 3178.26€ (2698€ in donations in 2021)
- Bank Account: 869.67€ (-543,60€ spent of which -43.60€ for bank fees
and taxes)
- OpenCollective: 206.67$ (all donations of 2021)

Using the exchange rate of 1.13271 $ / 1 € from xe.com for Dec. 31,
2021, this means we have a total amount of

4277.50€ or 4845.17$

Note that we have not received any money from OSGeo in 2021. I don't
know what needs to be done to receive the amount granted ? @Helena,
would you know ?

> (I'd substract what's already planned for Linda and
> Caitlin mini grants, right?) and donations (I added what's there in
> OpenCollective already, but was there something in the old bucket?)

The first 500€ for Linda were spent in 2021 and are part of the
accounts. The rest (i.e. 500€ for Linda and 1000€ for Caitlin) should be
part of the budget 2022. I see you have put 3000€ in planned grants. I
assume that is in the idea of up to 3 new grants. So the total budget
would have to be 4500€ taking into account the outstanding amounts for
the already decided grants. I've taken the liberty to change the budget
accordingly, but this means that it will be a big element of our budget
2022.

We also need to decide on whether we think that face-to-face code
sprints will be possible again and so whether we need to plan for some
expenses there. An option would be to reduce the planned new student
grants to 2 and move 1000€ over to sprint budget. Note that we can also
ask for specific sprint budget support from OSGeo.

I've also updated the exchange rate to the one indicated by xe.com for
Dec 31, 2021 and adapted all the amounts you already added.

For the planned income, I've indicated a sponsoring target of 2000€. I
think that this is ambitious, but doable, if we have a proactive
campaign and remind/inform people regularly, including with news about
what the money has brought for GRASS GIS.

Moritz