[STATSGRASS] RPgSQL_1.0-0.tar.gz

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Aug 2 05:01:03 EDT 2001

Hi Seppo:

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Seppo Kaitala wrote:

> Hello list
>
> I have installed GRASS 5.0.0pre1 and  R 1.3.0 , GRASS_0.1-7 and
> RPgSQL_1.0-0.
>
> When I try to run the spearefish demo (4.1 ) in the paper
> Open Source geocomputation: using the R data analysis language
> integrated with GRASS GIS and
> PostgreSQL data base systems ( Bivand and Neteller 2000)
>
> I got stuck with the command
>
>  db.connect("localhost", "5432","soils_ph_db")
> Error in db.connect("localhost", "5432", "soils_ph_db") :
> 	Connection failed
>
> When I look the databases with command (under grass )
>
>  g.select.pg -l
> The following databases are in the Unix catalogue:
> template1
> water
> water2
> water3
> soils_ph_db
> test
>
> So the database seems to be there.
>

> Would somebody please help me how I could get further and what the
> problem might be
> (bug in RPgSQL_1.0-0 ???).

I don't have access to my machines right now, but I'm not sure that you
need the second field in the db.connect()? That is the one given in the
example in the paper, but I recall needing to play around with the data
base connection. Can you also "see" the database with psql - if
g.select.pg works then you must?

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
and: Department of Geography and Regional Development, University of
Gdansk, al. Mar. J. Pilsudskiego 46, PL-81 378 Gdynia, Poland.