[STATSGRASS] Interpolation of grass's contour data ?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Nov 11 10:05:37 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, temiz wrote:

> hello
>
> is there any way in R to interpolate grass's contour (vector) data with
> Krig method ?

When I see contour data, I usually try out r.surf.contour on a raster
layer made from contours. It takes account of the fact that there are very
many observations with the contour level values better than other *.surf.*
choices. An alternative might be to sample the contours to reduce the
number of near points with the same z values, and use one of the s.surf.*,
maybe, depending on your data. In any case, the output will be terraced,
because most interpreters believe the input data, which are mostly at
levels. Adding fill-in points on summits and in depressions can help. I
think that r.surf.contour is still just integer and 0 is treated as NULL,
so you may need to use r.mapcalc on the input first to rescale it.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no