[STATSGRASS] Re: R - GRASS 6.0

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Jun 24 15:05:42 EDT 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, javier garcia wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I guess this mail is mainly intented to be answered by Roger Bivand.
>
> I use very often the R-GRASS interface and my system has just crashed.
> So I've reinstalled everything but GRASS.
> For me to choose between GRASS5.4 or GRASS6.0 is dependent on its
> functionality with R.
>
> Please Roger, Could you tell me if the package R-GRASS for GRASS5.0
> works with GRASS6.0? If not, I'd rather install GRASS5.4 again

No, the GRASS package on CRAN is for GRASS 5, supports sites, and
understands regions like 5.4. It works with all GRASS platforms.

The new spgrass6 package as described in GRASS-News only works with GRASS
6, and is not as stable as the earlier version (yet). It will be
loose-coupled, using file transfer or the GRASS plugin to GDAL for file
transfer. This does not work (yet) with Cygwin, but will use the more
advanced data structures of the sp package. It can already move vector
data via shapefiles. It is available from the r-spatial sourceforge site,
and if someone needs write access to CVS, please just contact me.

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no