[STATSGRASS] Clustering question

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Mon Feb 27 18:20:47 EST 2006

I have a data set where there have been a varying number of surveys
distributed in an uneven fashion across the landscape. What I would
like to do is examine the reporting rate for species occurrence. The
potential problems relate to bias from different amounts of effort in
different areas as well as the irregular distribution. What I would
like to do is to cluster these surveys into irregular polygons based
on the number of surveys conducted which pass certain completeness
criteria.

I am unsure how to go about doing this. I realize that depending on my
starting point and window size and movement pattern, there are quite a
number of possible solutions. However, I'm not even sure where to start
before I can arrive at a stable and defensible solution.

Any suggestions on how I might construct this clustering grid would be
appreciated.

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)