[STATSGRASS] multi session slow down

rsadler at cyllene.uwa.edu.au rsadler at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 16 20:39:06 EST 2006

Dear List,

I have implemented Monte Carlo inference for a random closed set model
that mimics the different "phases" of vegetation patterning to be
found in images of a semi-arid grassland in north west Australia. The
procedure is implemented using the multiple sessions capability of
grass60 on a computing cluster with shared disk space. The problem is
that when running a single machine alone I can generate 500
simulations an hour. However when I run all 30 machines concurrently
simulation rate drops dramatically to 20 sessions an hour for a single
machine (all machines are the same).

I am first contacting the statsgrass list because the procedure uses
the grass/R interface for a number of separate tasks. What I don't
know is whether the slow down is a result of the grass/R interface or
whether the slow done occurs on the grass side of things where there
is some shared file that all sessions use (like .grass.bashrc but not
that). The program is run as an R batch file using vanilla and slave,
with all output is being written to separate text files. All sessions
use different locations and therefore different mapsets.

Please advise

Regards
Rohan Sadler

PhD Student