[STATSGRASS] Re: [R-sig-Geo] R + GRASS in win XP

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Aug 27 00:15:11 EDT 2007

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Dear Roger,
>
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 08:32:53PM +0200, Roger Bivand wrote:
>> It was a combination of path variables with spaces and the apparent need to
>> call GRASS commands with *.exe extensions from within R in the GRASS shell
>> under GRASS Tools (QGIS 0.8.1). From spgrass6-0.4-1, QGIS/msys/GRASS is
>> supported - package revision just submitted to CRAN.
>
> wow, that's great! How much time does it take to percolate through CRAN?

It was submitted Sunday evening CET, so if we are lucky, the source will
get to CRAN on Monday, and the Windows binary package will be built
automatically about midday Tuesday CET.

The current source is on the Sourceforge r-spatial project, module
spgrass6. I've put an unofficial Windows binary on:

http://spatial.nhh.no/R/etc/spgrass6_0.4-1.zip

if anybody would like to risk trying it. I think that there are still
issues to be resolved, because R Windows system() is probably unaware that
it is talking to MSYS on a bash shell, rather than an unadorned Windows
command prompt. So far, quoting and paths seem fragile, but the examples
all work.

I'd be grateful for feedback. If we need any improvements before FOSS4G,
that should be OK, but best for a specific QGIS public release to avoid
any "moving target" issues.

Best wishes,

Roger