[STATSGRASS] problem during importation of vector grass

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Feb 8 12:37:06 EST 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Pierluigi De Rosa wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have some problem during importation of grass vecto file in R
> if I type:
>
> pointdata <- getSites6sp("ascii_punti")
>
> I have this error:
>
> ERROR 4: Failed to open
> shapefile /home/pierluigi/DATABASEGRASS/GB_EST/penchini/.tmp/uni/.shp.
> It may be corrupt.
>
> ERROR: Cannot open OGR data source
>        '/home/pierluigi/DATABASEGRASS/GB_EST/penchini/.tmp/uni'
> Errore in ogrInfo(dsn = dsn, layer = layer) :
>         Cannot open file
>

> Can anyone help me?
> it seems that R can't create the shapefile but until yesterday everythings
> work fine!

Did you do anything (update GRASS, spgrass6, GDAL/OGR, R) yesterday?

What does sessionInfo() in R say?

getSites6sp() is just a wrapper for the regular readVECT6() interface, by
the way. If you want to try to debug this, say debug(readVECT6), run the
command, and look at the contents of shname and the cmd string starting
with "v.out.ogr". That seems to be trying to write to a file with an empty
name - is this a character set issue (what locale are you using, were
there any non-ASCII characters in the name)?

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no