[GRASS-stats] problem installing spgrass6 in R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Oct 4 08:31:48 EDT 2009

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009, Tim Holland wrote:

> Dear Roger,
>
> I am sorry to keep asking for your time, but I have (what I hope is) a
> fairly simple question if you have a moment.
>
> I reinstalled everything from scratch, using all binaries from KyngChaos and
> what I think was the correct order of installation.  And I still had the
> same problem with spgrass6 and rgdal failing on installation.  So now I want
> to try what you suggested about using the configure arguments in
> install.packages.
>
> In GRASS, I did the following
>
> GRASS 6.4.0RC5 (mapset):~ > gdal-config --libs
> -L/Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/1.6/unix/lib -lgdal
> GRASS 6.4.0RC5 (mapset):~ > gdal-config --cflags
> -I/Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/1.6/Headers
>
> I then wanted to use those paths in R in install.packages.  I tried

Install rgdal first:

install.packages("rgdal", type="source",

configure.args=c(--with-gdal-config="<where gdal-config is>",
--with-proj-include="<where the proj headers are>",
--with-proj-lib=<where the proj libs are>"))

or something like that. Didn't it seem sensible to install the rgdal OSX
binaries from kyngchaos?

Once rgdal is installed, just install spgrass6 as a source package, no
dependencies, please, and no configure arguments. These are two separate
packages, where rgdal is what spgrass6 uses to do some of its work.

Hope this helps.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no