[GRASS-stats] readVECT6 not working

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Oct 22 14:36:23 EDT 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009, Lukas Quehl wrote:

> Hi, I have a problem with transferring vector maps from GRASS into R.
> The "readVECT6" function is not working. I always get the message
> "Fehler in vInfo(vname) : Vector information not found"
> ("Fehler"=Error). I did everything exactly as described in "Using
> R-GRASS Interface". It is neither working with my own data nor with the
> spearfish data. Other commands like "readRAST6" or "system(...)" are
> working, at least the ones I tried. I have no clue how to fix this or
> what I should do differently. Thank you for any help. Sincerely Lukas

I guess one of my messages got through, since you've included useful
information. vInfo() expects the output of v.info to be in English,
otherwise it cannot be parsed. Change to an English locale and it will
work.

By the way, does anyone know of a non-localised way of retrieving the
information needed - vInfo for bugsites returns:

   points      lines boundaries  centroids      areas    islands      faces
       90          0          0          0          0          0          0
    kernels
          0

but if the points are called "Punkte", all bets are off!

Without this information, it is not possible to distinguish between vector
types for composing the v.out.ogr command parameters.

Will:

v.info -t bugsites

or

execGRASS("v.info", flags="t", parameters=list(map="bugsites"))

return English-parsable information irrespective of locale - it looks
like it does? If someone can confirm, I'll patch vInfo() to suit.

Roger