[GRASS-stats] Re: spgrass6 and winGRASS 6.4.0 RC5

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Sep 3 16:25:56 EDT 2009

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, alexandre villers wrote:

> Dear members,
>
> Roger Bivand advised me to post problems on the R / GRASS interface on this list.
> I was using spgrass6 and R 2.9.2 with win GRASS 6.3.0 without much problems.
> I downloaded winGRASS 6.4 and tried to run again old script and the initGRASS doesn't work.
>
> loc<-initGRASS("C:/GRASS", home=tempdir(), override=T) #intialise GRASS dans un dossier de travail dans tempdir
> Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !
>
> Erreur dans parseGRASS(cmd) : g.region not parsed
>
> Roger advised me this could come from file path problem so I also tried, instead of home=tempdir() home="C:/temp" and
>
> loc<-initGRASS("C:/GRASS", home="C:/temp/", override=T) #intialise GRASS dans un dossier de travail dans tempdir
> Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !
>
> Erreur dans parseGRASS(cmd) : g.region not parsed

Stay with your previous working version of GRASS.

Next time, please include the output of traceback() run immediately after
the error, and the output of sessionInfo().

My guess is that the error is occurring in the last, unimportant, line of
initGRASS(), and that the location has been created successfully. What
fails is attempting to read the XML produced by g.region(.exe)
--interface-description, which appears to include invalid characters. I
think that the error messages are coming from xmlTreeParse(), but don't
know without traceback() output. This will likely affect other GRASS
modules too.

As I wrote on R-sig-geo, I have tried to reproduce the problem with
winGRASS 6.4.0 RC5 and R 2.9.2 without success - everything worked for me.
If you can redirect the output of g.region(.exe) --interface-description
to a file (with >) at the shell prompt, zip the file, and attach it to me
off-list, I'll take a look.

The problem still looks locale-related. If GRASS was internationalised
between RC4 and RC5 with reference to the contents of what
--interface-description returns, and the contents are malformed, that
would explain it. If this is the case (with apologies) make sure that your
computer knows that it is not in a locale using non ACSII signs, or find
the right locale for GRASS to match the one R is expecting.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no