[GRASS-stats] problem installing spgrass6 in R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Sep 28 14:54:05 EDT 2009

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009, Tim Holland wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to install spgrass6 in R, but am having trouble.  I have seen a
> previous related post
> (http://n2.nabble.com/GRASS-stats-Problems-installing-spgrass6-td1930684.html#a1930684),
> but I believe this is a different issue as I get different error messages.
>
> I am installing using the command
>> install.packages("spgrass6", type="source", dependencies=TRUE)
>
> On MacOSX 10.5.8, with sessionInfo() details as follows:
>
> R version 2.9.2 (2009-08-24)
> i386-apple-darwin8.11.1
> locale:
> en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8
> attached base packages:
> [1] tools_2.9.2
>
> I think I have the GDAL libraries installed, as I believe they are required
> for GRASS, which I have and which is running fine (version 6.4).  It seems
> like the most likely problem (based on error messages) is not having an
> acceptable C compiler?  If that is the issue, any guidance on how to find
> and install one would be very appreciated.

Check that you do have a visible GDAL install, as well as PROJ.4. Don't
assume, it usually hurts. Until gdal-config is found, you will not make
any progress. spgrass6 does not need a C/C++ compiler (but what reasonable
Unix lacks a compiler?)

You need XML (but not bitops) and sp, which you can install as binaries,
then you need rgdal installed from source or from

http://www.kyngchaos.com/software:frameworks

Check your GRASS installation for its GDAL/PROJ.4, you do not want
clashing versions. Start from the beginning (PROJ.4, GDAL), and build from
there (rgdal, GRASS), to be sure that they match.

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no