[GRASS-stats] problem installing spgrass6 in R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Sep 30 05:05:37 EDT 2009

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Tim Holland wrote:

> Hamish wrote:
>>

>>> you need to install 'make' which comes with gcc etc. from the
>>> Xcode(?) installer.
>>

> Roger Bivand wrote:
>>

>> I think Tim needs to read the available FAQs on CRAN, and read:
>>
>> http://r.research.att.com/tools/
>>
>> giving the recipes for setting up an OSX system for building R packages.
>> It isn't hard, one just needs to folloow the instructions and *never*
>> assume anything unless one knows more about OSX variants than the
>> maintainer. I think that the underlying GRASS install is broken too
>> (probably PATH problems) wrt. GDAL.
>>

> Dear all,
>
> Thank you for the help, Hamish and Roger (on list and off).  I was missing
> Xcode as you suggested Hamish, so now that is installed and I got marginally
> further on the install: rgdal and spgrass6 still failed, but bitops, XML,
> and sp worked.
>
> I am still not sure how to test if my gdal install is broken or not, but I
> will follow Roger's advice and assume that is is, and reinstall everything
> from the ground up.  I tried running gdal-config in GRASS, and got the
> following output - so I think it is installed, put perhaps with PATH
> problems.
>
> GRASS 6.4.0RC4 (mapset):~ > gdal-config
> Usage: gdal-config [OPTIONS]
> 	[--prefix[=DIR]]
> 	[--libs]
> 	[--dep-libs]
> 	[--cflags]
> 	[--datadir]
> 	[--version]
> 	[--ogr-enabled]
> 	[--formats]
>
> Thanks again for the help.  The error messages I'm getting now are below.  I
> am mainly just writing here as an update for the info of the list (and
> newbies such as myself getting stuck on this in future), so unless it seems
> like a bad idea (in which case please correct me) I will just do the
> strategy of reinstalling everything.

Tim,

One way of handling this might be - if you will only use rgdal from
"within" GRASS, is to run the install from the rgdal source package in
that environment. Alternatively, use gdal-config within GRASS to find the
the GDAL libs (--libs) and headers (--cflags) strings to pass to the
configure arguments in install.packages() in R outside GRASS. Here rgdal
will fail after installation if the GDAL shared objects are not on the
PATH R can see.

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no