[GRASS-stats] spgrass7 support for strds?

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Thu Feb 12 00:23:36 PST 2015

Edzer Pebesma <edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de> writes:

> On 02/11/2015 03:42 PM, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> Edzer Pebesma <edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de> writes:

>>> yes; and use the TGRASS (Cc: Soeren, the author), framework. Also,
>>> raster stacks with time z should be of interest (Cc: Robert).
>>
>> Please forgive my ignorance - but is there actually an accepted (as
>> SpatialGridDataFrame et al are accepted) object framework for these
>> spatio-temporal datasets in R? It sounds as if there is not at the moment?
>
> When is something accepted?

Sorry - forgot to add "..." around the word accepted.

> raster and spacetime have both been on CRAN for some years, and have
> both been considered usefu`l by people independent from the
> developers. There is a SpatioTemporal task view that tries to list
> everything possibly relevant.

As I said, I haven't used the spatio-temporal data in a while, and when
I did, I used a home made approach to analyse these. So I don't know
what the status is now and which class would be the best to import the
data in *to have them in a format which can be converted to other
spatio-temporal formats used in other packages*.

Looking at "spacetime: Spatio-Temporal Data in R" [1] I aagree that the
classes are there.

Cheers (and I should have looked at the task view before),

Rainer

>>> I suggest to rename this package to "grass", supporting the current
>>> grass release.
>>>
>>> Grass took 7 years to move 6 to 7; I discussed this with Markus last
>>> night, they might as well give up this crazy major version release cycle
>>> idea, with all kind of restrictions they impose on themselves.
>>
>> This might cause confusion. And as long as GRASS has major versions, I
>> think we should stick with this naming scheme.
>
> We don't do this with rgdal, rgeos, RSAGA, RArcInfo, and so on. But many
> of these have an "r" in front. This seems obsolete as they are R
> packages, but may be helpful in sentences like "We used grass and the
> r-package rgrass for carrying out multidimensional scaling on the MODIS
> imagery ...", which, without the leading r, would have the word "grass"
> twice in it referring to different things.
>
> spgrass has sp in it for historic reasons - we thought about prefixing
> everything with sp in the early sp days. Now sp is default, and one
> could think about a better name.
>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Rainer

Footnotes: