[GRASS-stats] Towards spgrass7

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Jan 15 04:57:55 PST 2015

Dear Roger,

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:
> Dear Markus,
>
> Good to hear you are well! Great that RC1 is ready!

Yeah, it took us a while but the latest cleanup efforts where really important.
I expect that we will proceed from RC1 to final release rather fast (finally!).

> Yes, I guess it would be sensible to condition on version in these cases, so
> first add comments for hard-coded flags and options (there are also some
> changes in type, I think). In addition, bin_out_win in parseGRASS() needs
> updating and/or conditioning on version, and the logic for handling where
> Python scripts are found should be looked at.

Yes, fine.

> You do not (yet) have commit rights on:
> https://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/rspatial/ where spgrass6 lives.

I have now registered on R-Forge.

> Two alignments: should GRASS5 support (GRASS packages) be dropped (yes)?

Yes, dropped.

> Should spgrass6 be forked into (new) spgrass which supports >= 7, and leave
> spgrass6 for 6.*?

I'd support to fork in order to not have too many conditions in the code.

> If fork, is SVN on R-Forge OK?

Yes.

Best wishes,
Markus