[GRASS-stats] Using GRASS addons in R on Windows

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jan 12 23:25:45 PST 2016

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016, Roger Bivand wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jan 2016, Markus Neteler wrote:

>> >  OK, thanks, as I've also made progress on the other problem (using
>> >  temporary
>> >  SQLite files for vector transfer under Windows), I've submitted to CRAN.
>> >  Anyone who installed the 0.1-4 versions for testing will need to install
>> >  the
>> >  CRAN version when/if it appears.
>>
>>  That's great, thanks for discovering and solving!
>
> On CRAN now (source package), Windows binary will follow. Thanks for help in
> checking - if the *.py scripts all have *.bat in the locations checked, they
> should be found.
>
> Does the order of the system and user bin folders matter? Should we care if
> the addons are duplicated?

Maybe released too fast, unfortunately. For use of R in a running GRASS
session with addons, this version should be fine.

However, it will not work for initGRASS(), which does not set
GRASS_ADDON_BASE or GRASS_ADDON_PATH.

Where should I look to see where the correct values are stored on Unix
(Linux and OSX?) and Windows? I see: GRASS_ADDON_BASE as GNU/Linux is
$HOME/.grass7/addons, on MS Windows $APPDATA\GRASS7\addons in:

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/variables.html

Is %APPDATA% a predictable location on Windows?

What happens if the user sets prefix= in g.extension?

On Windows, adding GRASS_ADDON_BASE\bin to the PATH is sufficient (because
all scripts in /scripts have a matching *.bat in /bin. On Unix, we need
both /scripts (for Python scripts) and /bin for compiled extensions. Do we
need toolboxes?

Best wishes,

Roger

> Best wishes,
>
> Roger
>

>>  Markus

Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 91 00
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-2392-6140
http://depsy.org/person/434412