[GRASS-stats] Why does rgrass7::writeVECT() silently add a cat column if it doesn't exist?

Tobias Pilz topilz at pik-potsdam.de
Wed Oct 20 05:25:25 PDT 2021

Dear list,

when I use in R the writeVECT() command the resulting map in GRASS got
the 'cat' column silently added to its attribute table if it didn't exist.

The vector object in question was previously imported to R via
readVECT() and had a different column defined as key column.

Is this behaviour of writeVECT() intentional? If yes, why so and
wouldn't it make sense to give a warning?

Note: I used rgrass7 version 0.2-6 together with GRASS 7.8.5 under Linux
(opensuse).

Regards,

Tobias