running grass remotely

GHATCHER GERRY at omdc.gso.uri.edu
Fri Apr 3 07:56:00 EST 1992

Date sent:  3-APR-1992 07:43:15
>    I want to run grass4.0 on a remote machine (orion) and have my
>>   machine (wadif) serve as the host.
>>
>>   So first on wadif I said:
>>   xhost orion
>>   Then on orion I said:
>>   rlogin wadif
>>   setenv DISPLAY orion:0

   Here you should run another program like xterm or xclock just to be
   sure you can open a display. It looks like your doing everything ok
   as far as the display goes though.

>>   Then I bring up grass on orion.
>>   It says:
>>   LOCATION: spearfish
>>   MAPSET: gary    (this is the user name for orion)
>>   DATABASE: ../grass.data
>>
>>   Then upon entering grass it says:
>>   Sorry no access to <<gary>>
>>   Mapsets in location <spearfish>
>>    PERMANENT   gary   root
>>  note: you do not have access to any of these mapsets.
>>
>>  I checked these mapsets and all of the permissions are turned on.
>>  Any ideas?  Thanks.

    I have a guess that your not getting your enviornment variables setup
    correctly. So check your .login and or .profile and or .cshrc for
    conditional statements changing things if your loging in remotely.
    You can manually execute these files for your current session using
    the source command i.e. source .login

Hope this helps,

Gerry Hatcher

Ocean Mapping Development Center|      Gerry at omdc.gso.uri.edu {Internet}
University of Rhode Island      |
(401)-792-6940                  |              cbeam::gerry {span}