p.ps?

Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Sun Apr 5 23:17:27 EDT 1992

Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions to use pbmplus, but this is
not what I asked.

   From: shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil (Michael Shapiro)
   Date: Sat, 4 Apr 92 6:50:36 CST

   >Is anyone working on a postscript paint driver.
   You should be able to use the paint ppm driver  and  convert  the
   results to poscript using the pbmplus software. Or are you asking
   that someone write a p.ps command which interprets postscript and
   prints it on ANY kind of printer?       ^^^^^^^^^^

not interprets, but speaks (most people can get access to newsprint
from sun, which interprets and converts postscript to, for example,
Calcomp-ease).

I asked because:

 1. Conversion from ppm to ps (i.e., using image-data for everything) is
    incredibly inefficient. The space required to store files becomes
    prohibitive after you produce three or four maps, esp. if you only
    deal with vector maps. For example, use a "newpath, moveto, lineto,
    lineto, closepath, stroke" sequence (that's PostScript-ease) to draw
    a vector instead of producing an image matrix. I could list several
    more reasons why a p.ps would be much better (fonts, for example).
 2. I am kicking around the idea of writing this in my spare time and
    I wanted to make sure that I wasn't repeating something that someone
    else was doing (or even contemplating doing, since this would take a LOT
    of "spare time" to do properly).

Darrell