Installing GRASS on the Sun Station..

Rob Knauerhase rob at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Tue Apr 7 16:07:08 EDT 1992

In an E-mail message, Salah Benabdallah said:
>We followed the instructions for installing GRASS from CD_ROM on
>SUN SPARC. We found out that all the files are linked to GRASS_CD
>directory which is the mount point of the CD_ROM.  However, we
>would like to have the GRASS software to be on the hard disk and not
>linked to CD_ROM.   Any suggestions ?

Salah,

    I assume you're talking about the CD that's distributed by Young Minds?
If so, what you might want to do is mount the CD and run the script to set up
symlinks as they say.  Then, make a directory with a different name (like
/grass.tmp or something).  Go to the /GRASS directory (which has the symlinks
to /GRASS_CD on the CD) and type "cp -r /GRASS /grass.tmp" -- the "-r" to the
cp command means copy all subdirectories and files therein.
    Then unmount the CD, remove /GRASS and /GRASS_CD (and all the links in the
latter) and rename /grass.tmp to /GRASS.  You will then have all the GRASS
executable files on your local disk.

    The above is not a "cookbook" way to do it, but rather a guide as to what
you will need to do (i.e. I might have forgotten a step).  In essence, what
you do is copy all the files to your local disk using the hierarchy of links
onto the CD as a template.  Then delete all the links and unmount the CD.

    Alternately, the YM disc provides source for their program to make the
links.  You could change that to a copy, but from what little I played with the
disc, it seems as though it'd be easier to try the above method.

Rob
--
Rob Knauerhase [rob at amber.cecer.army.mil] Office of Grass Integration,
Construction Engineering Research Labs, US Army Corps of Engineers (USA-CERL)