DXF import

Melissa Records records at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Fri Apr 17 11:33:23 EDT 1992

From: Jan Benson at bens at chelsea.cee.wisc.edu

>  Question:
>    1.  Does anyone have a newer v.in.dxf program that will accept and store
>        elevation values for later use.?

The current "v.in.dxf" program can import text elevation values, but
not Z values.  This capability has proved most useful in importing
contour files into GRASS.  So, let's say you've got a contour file
with elevation text on the index contours.  The way that CAD data is
usually formatted, the contour lines are on one level and the text is
on another.  The "v.in.dxf" program creates a dig file for each level
that has data.  The contour lines usually end up in at least one dig
file and the text usually ends up as a dig file (a box is drawn around
the text) and as a dig_att file (the value of the text becomes the
attribute of the box).  Then, you can use another GRASS program called
"v.cadlabel" to attach the dig_att values of the text to the contour
lines.  Sort of automates labeling, although you usually have to do
some hand labeling in "v.digit" as well.  I know that this sounds
complex, but if you try it and see the results on the screen, it makes
sense.

Unfortunately, this doesn't exactly solve your problem, but maybe it
will clarify the issue.

Melissa