reply - breaking up progman

Peter Daugherty pjd at bears.ssl.berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 4 14:16:18 EDT 1992

One can break the manual into sections: there is a header section:
all material prior to line starting with "page: 1" ; and a trailer
section: last few lines.  In between, pages start with "page: nnn",
where nnn = 1, 2, ...  I broke the manual into sections using an
editor, which is a little cumberson but do-able.  Remember to incude
the header and trailer for each section. (note the trailer specifies
the number of pages -- I did not bother to change this entry and had
bad effects.  I'm sure script with awk or a c-program could be used
to break up the manual.  All said -- the version I downloaded had left
margin problems starting with chapter 13: (right-shifted approx. five
characters -- I traced the problem to the postscript instructions that
position the left most character -- but could see no easy fix as the
instructions alternate writing from left to right and right to left
good luck

P. J. Daugherty
Department of Forestry and Resource Management
145 Mulford Hall
University of CA
Berkeley, CA 94720
(510) 642-8233 -- office