Network of SUN cpu's and GRASS

Scott Tweddale tweddale at murphy.gis.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 12 16:34:14 EDT 1992

We have our GRASS system at the U. of Illinois GIS lab set up similar
to what you described, with a single GRASS "server" which exports
the binaries to all of our other machines in the laboratory using
Sun NFS.  I think it's safe to say that we have rarely, if ever,
experienced a lag time in GRASS execution due to overload on
our network.   We present GRASS training workshops using this
setup, which I consider a very good test of system response.

As far as load on a systems admin, exporting the binaries from the
server and mounting them on all other machines should be a rather
simple task that only needs to be set up once.

Scott Tweddale
UofI GIS Lab/USA-CERL