Thin Plate Spline Interpolation program available!

Dave Gerdes dpgerdes at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Fri Aug 14 18:03:06 EDT 1992

I have just placed the code for the new interpolation program on MOON.
The program is called  s.surf.tps  and is in the directory:

    grass4.0.updates/src.alpha/sites/s.surf.tps

This program will take scattered labeled site data and interpolate it
onto a regular RASTER grid using Thin Plate Splines and Smoothing.
This program was written by Helena Mitasova and can be used to produce
very nice surfaces for elevations, as well as various types of
concentration surfaces, such as for tracking chemical spills, or
even population.
This program will also provide output files for aspect, slope,
profile curvature, tangential curvature, and mean curvature.

To support this program, we threw together a hack which will convert vector
data into site data.  This program is called v.out.points and can be used
to turn a labeled contour file into a site file for interpolation by
s.surf.tps.

That file can be found in

    grass4.0.updates/src.alpha/mapdev/v.out.points

Enjoy.

--

  Dave Gerdes
  US Army Construction Engineering Research Lab
  dpgerdes at zorro.cecer.army.mil
  (217) 352-6511 x591