City Boundaries from TIGER (again)

Eric Kostello kostello at muir.sscnet.ucla.edu
Tue Aug 25 23:21:32 EDT 1992

Oops, had a little problem sending that message too early....
I'll just repeat what I had said, so that it all ends up in
one message....

I have been trying to get maps of city boundaries. The first
method I tried was to look at all the Nonvisible Political
Boundaries (CFCC F10), but that didn't work very well
(presumably because it left out the VISIBLE boundaries like
roads). In addition there seemed to be a fair amount of
other stuff that came under F10 classification than city
boundaries.

Next I tried selecting all the type 1 lines in which the
Minor Civil Divsion codes were different on the two sides
and got a much better map from that, but it didn't really
get down to the city level in all cases.

Anyway, the question I have is whether there is a sure-fire
method of finding city boundaries with TIGER files?

By the way, v.in.tig.basic has been great so far.

Thanks very much

Eric Kostello