p.map output

Michael Shapiro shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Mon Dec 7 18:02:25 EST 1992

If the printer is a real device, the drivers are written to tell p.map
that it can scale the output. The driver does this telling p.map that
the number of vertical pixels is zero.

The preview and ppm drivers tell p.map they have are not scalable by
telling p.map the number of vertical poixels is some positive value.
This makes sense for preview (but try preview2). For ppm, even though
the results will get sent to a real printer, the driver doesn't know
the horizontal number of pixels or the resolutions of the printer
that will be used so the driver was written with non-scalable values.

|In view of the recent spate of messages about the things NOT appearing when
|you're using p.map to create a hardcopy print, I would like to repeat my earlierquestion:
|- we use the painters "preview" and "ppm". We can't produce screen or hardcopy
|  legends with those. Often the bottom line of a ppm file is missing. Sometimes
|  we get a short horizontal line below the image frame which I suppose is the
|  legend entry for something, though we never asked for it in the p.map file.
|- since others have similar problems with the painters, could you GRASS devel
|  opers out there issue some kind of authoratitive statement about what the
|  painters can and can't do? Maybe this problem could be solved in time for
|  version 4.1?
|
|Martijn van Leusen

Michael Shapiro                        U.S. Army CERL
email:   shapiro at amber.cecer.army.mil  Office of GRASS Integration
phone:   (217) 373-7277                P.O. Box 9005
fax:     (217) 373-7222                Champaign, Ill. 61826-9005