All I want for Christmas is my ...

Melissa Records records at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Tue Dec 8 15:46:15 EST 1992

> I concur with Ronald E Thomas about the need for more
> extensive documentation/map histories ... daily use leads
> to a large number of maps and reclassifications of maps, and it
> would be nice if these could be organised in some kind of
> `map archiving system' which allows grouping by subject, date
> of production, region etc. and allows the adding of notes
> to maps.
>
> Martijn van Leusen

Metadata's time has come ..........

For those of you who don't know, the term "metadata", which
means "data about data" is THE hot buzzword these days.  A
lot of people are getting very interested in it.  One of the
reasons for this interest is that there's now enough digital
data out there so that people can share and/or use data that's
already been developed rather than having to create new
digital data themselves.

If you acquire data from someone else, you need to know
something about the data.  You want to know who created the
data, what kind of sources they used, what scales were the
original maps, what's the quality of the data.  Furthermore,
the SDTS federal exchange format for spatial data requires
a quality control report.  So people are becoming aware of
the fact that metadata is crucial to making appropriate
decisions about the use of the data.

Those of us at CERL who have been involved with the development
of GRASS data bases have been discussing the possibility of
an expanded and enhanced "history" file for a long time now.
The history file as it currently exists just doesn't do the
job.  We've created a sort of "make-do" expanded history file
format, that allows users to fill in the blanks.  It's strictly
a UNIX ascii file.  GRASS doesn't recognize it as a GRASS
file so it's up to the user to manage and edit the file using
UNIX commands, rather than running GRASS programs.  We've been
keeping the blank form in the user's mapset under a directory
called "hist.more".  When you want to create an expanded history
file, you make a copy of the blank (naming the copy after the
data layer) and then fill it in.  There are two blanks.  One for
imagery data layers and one for all other data layers.  Following
this message are the blanks.

NOTE:

These blanks haven't been updated in some time.  They may not
be appropriate for your needs.  They aren't meant to be the
definitive history file format, but are a starting point.  CERL
is working on several projects right now that are looking into
metadata.  The Federal Geographic Data Committee is in the
process of developing some standards for metadata.  There's some
changes and new capabilities on the horizon.

PS.

Look over these blanks.  If you have ideas about other information
that should be included in a history file, please let me know.
Thanks.

Melissa Records  OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

USACERL                             phone:  (217) 352-6511, x447
Environmental Compliance Modeling   FAX:    (217) 373-7222
 & Systems Division
Spatial Analysis & Systems Team     email:  records at zorro.cecer.army.mil

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

GRASS Map Layer History Report

Layer name:
Location:
Mapset:
Layer title:
Version of GRASS used to create layer:
Type of layer:
Number of categories:

Window Used to Create Layer

Coordinate system (UTM/State Plane):
Zone:
N:
S:
E:
W:
N-S resolution:
E-W resolution:

Cell Layer Information

Columns:
Total cells:

General Information about Source Data

Name of source data:
Date source data was published/created:
Publisher/Creator of source data:
Scale of source data:
Source media (tape, paper, mylar, etc.):
Condition of source data (good, wrinkled, accuracy problems, etc.):
Format of source data if tape (ascii/binary, vector/raster, SPOT/DEM/DLG, etc)
If source data is imagery, SPOT/Landsat identification number:
  (see GRASS Imagery Layer History Report)
If source data is a format other than GRASS, programs used to import data:
Comments:

(Re)compilation of Source Data

Date of (re)compilation:
Name of person/agency who (re)compiled source data:
Procedures/Problems with recompilation:
Hours spent (re)compiling:
Comments:

Digitizing/Scanning of Source Data

Date source data was digitized/scanned:
Name of person/agency who digitized/scanned:
Digitizing threshold/resolution:
Map threshold/resolution:
Min/Max RMS residuals from registration (list residuals for each map sheet
  used to create layer):
Procedures/Problems in digitizing/scanning data:
Hours spent digitizing/scanning:
Comments:

Check Plot Information

Window used:
  N:
  S:
  E:
  W:
Scale:
Program used to plot:
   (if mapgen--name of map definition file)
4 registration points:
Accuracy (good, fair, poor):
Acceptable error threshold (meters on ground):
Name of person/agency who check plotted: